Sunday, June 7, 2009

Allergic to Dogs

We have known for a while that Nevaeh is allergic to dogs, but since we don't have a dog and she is pretty much scared of them, she isn't ever really around them. When she is around them she is ok except when she rubs her eyes. If she does rub her eyes, then they get all red and they swell up. When this happens, a dose of Benadryl and some eye drops usually does the trick.


Well, this past week, the kids and I went to my friend, Tina's house. Tina has 2 dogs. We were there for 6 days. While we were there, she was a bit itchy and her eyes got red a couple of times. I gave her some Benadryl but wasn't giving it too her but maybe once a day. She was doing fine. Then we were on our way home yesterday. I stopped in Wickenburg for us to use the restroom when Nevaeh says, "Mommy, look!" She lifts up her shirt and she has hives! Her whole stomach, chest, back and tushy were all red and swollen and splotchy! I didn't have any Benadryl with me so decided to call the Pediatrician and get home as soon as I could.


Well, on the way home, it kept getting worse. It moved up to her neck and her face and down her legs. It was horrible and she just kept itching. So, finally we're almost home and the Pediatrician calls me back tells me to get some Benadryl in her and then give her a bath and if in a couple of hours it hasn't helped to take her into the hospital.


I didn't have a house key so I had to drop by Jason's work to get the garage door opener. After that I got home as soon as I could. I get the kids in the house and go to the medicine cabinet. No Benadryl. Great! So I pack the kids back into the car and head over to CVS. The poor girl looked so bad at this point. It was down to her ankles and her hands and up on her face. She didn't want to go inside and I don't blame her. But I didn't want to leave her in the car so I made her come in. I went and talked to the Pharmacist to make sure that Benadryl was the best thing and to make sure I was giving her the correct dosage. I also got some Aveno anti-itch lotion for her. I got the stuff, got the kids back in the car, and went back home. I got the kids back in the house and gave Nevaeh some Benadryl and turned the bathwater on. But before I had her take a bath, I took some pictures. The poor thing!










I have done almost all of the laundry that we had in Vegas with us. I washed stuffed animals and blankets. I even switched her pillow...not just the case... but the entire pillow. I didn't want there to be dog hair in her pillow and having to deal with it over and over again.

The mystery is however, why did she not get hives on days 1-5 of being there? Isn't it weird that she didn't get them until day 6? Was her body just tired of fighting it so it gave up? I don't know why...does anyone have a guess?

She has been on Benadryl for 2 days now (every 4-6 hours) and it is clearing up. It's not totally gone but it is clearing up. Thank goodness! Hopefully she will be hive free by tomorrow or Monday. Here's to hoping! :-)

5 comments:

heidi said...

owwie, poor girl!

Genny said...

Poor girl!! Although, now I feel a little bit better about her relatively small reaction at my house :)

Allyson said...

Poor baby!

Danette said...

Poor Nevaeh! Jarom had a similar hive break out and the best we can figure it was some dark chocolate brownies -- and too many of them. It was miserable. She looked much better Saturday at our house. OWW!

Flo said...

Poor girl. Those hives are not fun. Keep the meds in the car and where ever you go.